There are several reasons why your mini fridge light is blinking. Fortunately, most often it can be fixed quite easily. In this quick guide, we will delve into this issue and how to fix it. Now, let's get started!
Note: Before you inspect any electrical part, first turn off your fridge.
1. Faulty Door Switch
- One of the most common reasons for a blinking light in your mini fridge is a faulty door switch.
- This switch is responsible for turning the light on and off when you open and close the door.
- If it's not functioning properly, the light may flicker or blink.
- You'll need to locate the door switch: you will most likely find it on the inside of the fridge door frame.
- Make sure it's secure in its housing and clean it with a cotton swab to remove any debris that may be interfering with its operation.
2. Door Jam
- Some refrigerators have sensors that detect if the door is not entirely shut.
- When the door is jammed in such a way that it triggers the sensor, the fridge's light will start blinking.
- Check the door to make sure it is entirely closed, leaving no gaps for cold air to escape. This may occur when an object is too large and keeps the fridge door from closing completely. If this is the case, rearrange the contents so the door isn't being jammed.
- If that doesn't solve the problem, try cleaning the seal around the door to make it fit better, and the sensor will work properly.
3. Power Surges
- If the power supply to the fridge is unstable or faulty, the light may start blinking.
- The power supply problem could be either with the cord or the outlet.
- Check the cord for damage and ensure that they are plugged in correctly and securely. You may have to replace them entirely.
- Try another outlet to rule out the possibility of an unstable power source as the cause of the blinking.
4. Faulty Bulb
- If the bulb is faulty or loose, it can cause the light to flicker or blink randomly.
- Another common reason for a blinking light in your mini fridge is a dirty light bulb.
- Unplug the fridge, take it out, and closely examine the bulb to see if anything is wrong.
- Wipe it clean with a damp cloth.
- If the light is damaged or loose, replace it with a new one if it's been in use for a long time.
5. Faulty Sensor
- A faulty sensor could be causing your mini fridge light to blink.
- This sensor is responsible for detecting when the door is open or closed, turning the light on and off accordingly.
- Locate the sensor, which is usually located on the inside of the fridge door.
- Make sure it's clean and free from any debris.
- If it's still not working after cleaning, you may need to replace it entirely. If so, get a professional to do this.
6. Damaged Switch
- A damaged switch could be responsible for the blinking.
- When the switch is off, the light should stay off, and when it is on, the light comes on.
- Turn off the fridge, and inspect: in some fridges, the switch may be a part of the light mechanism. If that is the case, you may have to replace the entire thing.
- If it is a separate part, you may need to purchase a replacement switch and install it yourself.
7. Overheating Fridge
- Several factors can cause overheating, such as temperature control, dirty coils, an overpacked fridge, a broken fan, or a malfunctioning circuit board.
- If the fridge is not maintaining a consistent temperature, it might cause the light to flicker.
- Adjust the temperature controls to ensure that the fridge is maintaining the correct temperature.
- Clean the coils. It allows the fridge to remove heat from the unit, reducing the risk of overheating.
- Check if the fan inside the fridge is functional. If it is broken, you will need to replace it.
Now that you know the top 7 reasons why your mini fridge light is blinking, you should be able to fix the problem quickly and easily.
However, if the problem persists, the user's manual doesn't address the issue and neither does the brand's website, it's always best to call a technician for assistance.