You don't have to be a sushi chef to make delicious hand roll sushi at home. With this easy-to-follow recipe, you can enjoy the taste of fresh sushi any time you want. And the best part is, you don't need any special equipment or ingredients. All you need is a little patience and a lot of practice.
Hand Roll Sushi - Temaki Sushi
Hand roll sushi, sometimes called temaki sushi, is a type of sushi that is rolled into a cone shape using nori (dried edible seaweed paper).
The fillings are usually placed in the center of the nori sheet, and then the edges are rolled up and secured with a small strip of nori.
Hand roll sushi is traditionally served without soy sauce or wasabi since the fillings are already seasoned.
Sushi Cones: Multiple Ways To Fill Your Hand Rolls
Traditionally, hand roll sushi is made using only fish and vegetables as fillings. However, there are endless possibilities when it comes to fillings.
You can use any combination of sushi ingredients that you like. Here are some of our favorite fillings: Salmon, Spicy tuna, Crabmeat, Avocado, Cucumber.
And you can even get creative with the dipping sauces. Instead of soy sauce, try using a sweet and sour sauce or even a spicy mayo.
How To Make Hand Roll Sushi
Once you have your fillings, it's time to start rolling. Here's a step-by-step how.
Step One: Gather your ingredients.
For this recipe, you will need one sheet of nori, half a cup of cooked rice, two tablespoons of prepared filling (such as fish, vegetables, or tofu), and one tablespoon of pickled ginger (for garnish).
Step Two: Cut the nori in half with scissors.
This will make two smaller sheets that are easier to work with.
Step Three: Work with the nori sheets.
- Place one sheet of nori on a flat surface, shiny side down.
- Wet your hands with water so that the rice doesn't stick to them.
- Scoop half a cup of cooked rice onto the nori sheet, and spread it out evenly with your fingers until it covers the entire sheet.
- Be sure to leave a ½-inch border around the edges so that the nori doesn't tear when you roll it up.
Step Four: Fill with the rice.
- Place two tablespoons of prepared filling in the center of the rice.
- Again, be sure to leave a ½-inch border around the edges so that the nori doesn't tear when you roll it up.
Step Five: Roll up the sushi.
- First fold up one side of the nori sheet so that it covers half of the filling.
- Then take the other side and wrap it over top, enclosing all of the filling in between.
- Wet your fingers with water and run them along the seam where the two sides of nori meet to seal it shut.
- Finally, wet one corner of the strip of nori and use it to secure the end of your hand roll closed.
Step Six: Repeat steps 3-6
Repeat steps three through six for each hand roll you want to make. Serve immediately with pickled ginger (if desired) and enjoy!
With this easy-to-follow recipe, anyone can make delicious hand roll sushi at home. With a little patience and practice, you'll be rolling your own sushi like a pro in no time!
If you're looking for a new and fun experience, making sushi is it! And to make the perfect rice every time, you'll need a quality sushi rice cooker. We've reviewed and researched the options so that all you have to do is choose from our top 6 picks! Check the list from the below blog post and find yours today!