Everyone has their own method for making coffee, but sometimes you may find yourself in need of a cup and not have the time or proper equipment for your preferred method.
If you’re looking for an easy way to make coffee at home without much fuss, use a trusty coffee maker! Here’s how to make a delicious cup of joe with one.
Make Coffee With A Machine
Step 1: Choose Your Coffee Beans Or Grounds
The first step in making the perfect cup of coffee is choosing your beans or grounds.
- You can choose from a variety of flavors and roasts, depending on your preference.
- From light roast Colombian beans to dark French roast grounds, there's something for everyone.
- Make sure you buy freshly roasted beans or grounds for optimal flavor and aroma.
Step 2: Measure Out Your Coffee
Once you have chosen your beans or grounds, it's time to measure them out.
- Use a scoop that is specifically designed for measuring coffee.
- For an 8-oz cup of coffee, use two scoops of ground beans or two tablespoons of whole beans.
- This will give you a good balance between strength and flavor in your cup of joe.
Step 3: Grind Your Beans (If Using Whole Beans)
If you are using whole beans, then the next step is grinding them up into course grounds.
- The coarseness should be similar to table salt for it to extract properly during brewing.
- Use a burr grinder if possible as this will ensure that all the particles are evenly sized and therefore more likely to extract evenly during brewing.
Step 4: Brewing Your Cup Of Joe
Fill the reservoir with clean water up to the desired level.
- Depending on how many cups of coffee you want to brew, fill accordingly.
- Pour freshly ground coffee beans into the filter—the amount will depend on how strong or weak you want your brew to be—and place the filter into the machine’s appropriate slot.
- Then press start ... and wait for that magical thing called “coffee” to happen!
Step 5: Enjoy Your Perfect Cup Of Coffee
Once your coffee is brewed, it’s time to sit back and enjoy.
For an extra special finish, consider adding a few teaspoons of milk or cream and a sprinkle of sugar or honey.
Making Coffee FAQs
Here are some commonly asked questions about how to make coffee with a machine:
What are the golden rules of making coffee?
For an 8-ounce cup of coffee, use 2 scoops of ground beans or two tablespoons of whole beans per 6 ounces of water. This will give you a good balance between strength and flavor in your cup of joe.
Adjust the grind size of your beans depending on how you’re going to brew them. For a plain drip coffee maker, use a medium-fine grind size. For an espresso machine use a very fine grind size.
How much coffee and water do I use for 4 cups?
For 4 cups of coffee, use 8 scoops or 8 tablespoons of ground beans and 24 ounces (3 cups) of water.
Adjust the number of beans and water depending on how strong or weak you want your coffee to be.
What should you not do in a coffee maker?
- Do not use too many beans or grounds in a single cup of coffee as this can lead to an overly bitter and acidic taste.
- Do not pour boiling water directly into the coffee maker as this can cause damage to the machine. Instead, use water that has been heated to 200-205 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Do not use additives or flavorings as they can affect the flavor and aroma of your coffee. Stick to beans and grounds only!
- Never leave your coffee machine on for long periods as this can lead to burning and damage. It's best to turn it off after each use.
Why is it not good to drink coffee first thing in the morning?
- Drinking coffee first thing in the morning can disrupt your body’s natural rhythm and can lead to an increase in stress hormones.
- It's not good for your empty stomach to ingest an amount of caffeine in one go, as it can cause digestive issues.
- It's best to wait at least an hour after waking up before having your first cup of joe
What is the healthiest way to drink coffee?
- The healthiest way to drink black coffee is to have it without added sugar or syrups.
- It's also best to avoid processed instant coffee, as it contains artificial ingredients and preservatives.
- Opt for organic, freshly roasted and ground beans to get the most out of the beverage in terms of flavor and health benefits.
Tips & Tricks
- You can also use an automated timer (if using a smart coffee maker) so that your morning cup is already brewed when you wake up—a minor miracle anyone can appreciate!
- Some machines even come equipped with self-cleaning features, so all you have to worry about is grinding some fresh beans before starting up again.
- Don't reuse the coffee grounds as using the same ground more than once will result in a bitter cup of coffee.
Need a coffee maker? Check out our guide to the best coffee and espresso maker combo for home use.
Whether it's a quick pick-me-up after lunch or an energizing morning boost before heading off on your daily adventures, there's nothing like getting that perfect cup from your very own kitchen. Happy brewing!