Chances are, you've had tamago before and didn't even know it. This versatile Japanese dish can be found in everything from sushi to ramen, and it's always a crowd-pleaser. But what is tamago?
In its most basic form, tamago is a sweet omelette made with egg and sugar. However, there are many different ways to make tamago, and the dish can be enjoyed in a variety of dishes. Today, we're going to show you how to make tamago at home with just a few simple ingredients.
First, let's start with the basics.
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
How To Make Tamago
1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, and salt.
2. In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water to form a slurry. Add this to the egg mixture and whisk until smooth.
3. Heat a tamagoyaki pan or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Grease the pan with vegetable oil.
4. Pour in 1/3 of the egg mixture and tilt the pan to spread evenly. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until set.
5. Use a spatula to roll the tamago omelette from one end to the other.
6. Add another 1/3 of the egg mixture and tilt the pan to spread evenly. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until set.
7. Roll the tamago omelette from one end to the other.
8. Add the remaining egg mixture and tilt the pan to spread evenly. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until set.
9. Remove from heat and let cool slightly before slicing into pieces. Serve immediately.
And there you have it! A delicious tamago omelette that you can enjoy at home. Now that you know how to make tamago, why not give it a try? We think it would be a perfect addition to your next sushi night!
If you want to make a delicious omelet, having the right kitchenware is just as important as using quality ingredients. But don't worry, we've done all the hard work for you! Check out our blog posts below where we list the top omelet pans currently on the market.