Blenders are an essential kitchen appliance for anyone who enjoys a healthy lifestyle. They are a staple appliance in every kitchen. They make meal prep and cooking easier and faster.
However, after using the blender, cleaning it can be a real hassle. To save time, many people put their blenders in the dishwasher. But, is it safe to do that?
In this guide, we’ll answer all your questions about whether or not your blender is dishwasher safe, and which parts need to be hand washed.
Note: this post is about countertop blenders, not handheld, stick, or immersion blenders. Not all of these models are dishwasher safe.
Is A Blender Dishwasher Safe?
Parts of countertop blenders can be put in the dishwasher. It's important to note that only certain parts of a blender can be put in the dishwasher.
- Generally, the blender pitchers and lids are dishwashers safe, but the blades and the blender base - the motor housing - are not.
- The motor base should never be submerged in water or put in the dishwasher. This can ruin the motor, which may be fatal for your blender.
- The blades and other small parts, including gaskets (the rubber bands that usually separate the blade element from the pitcher), should not be put in the dishwasher.
- There are many blender brands. There may be exceptions to the rule. But most popular countertop blenders use a similar construction.
- It's important to consult your blender's manual instructions to understand which parts shouldn't be put in the dishwasher.
1. What Parts Of A Blender Are Dishwasher Safe?
In general, anything that doesn't contain the motor or electrical components can be put in the dishwasher.
- The containers and lids are dishwasher safe. These pieces can easily fit into the top rack of the dishwasher.
- Blender jars made of glass, plastic, or stainless steel can safely go into the dishwasher.
- The lids or caps can also go into the dishwasher.
- As for gaskets, some say you can put them in the dishwasher. However, this may cause them to wear down fast, so I advise you strongly to wash them by hand.
- Always use caution when loading your blender components into the dishwasher.
2. What Parts of A Blender Are Not Dishwasher Safe?
Blades and motor housing are not dishwasher safe.
- The motor base should never be submerged in water or put in the dishwasher. These components should be washed by hand using a damp cloth, soaked in warm, soapy water, and wrung out.
- If you expose the motors to high temperatures, they can warp, dull, rust, or corrode over time.
- Apart from the question of whether they are dishwasher safe, blender blades are sharp and can damage other items in the dishwasher if not secured properly.
- It’s best to avoid putting blender blades in the dishwasher because they can get damaged or blunt.
How To Wash A Blender In A Dishwasher
Clean the blender before putting it in the dishwasher
- Add warm water to the blender jar until it's about half full.
- Blend for about 30 seconds and then rinse everything thoroughly.
- Turn off the appliance and disconnect the cable from the power outlet.
- Make sure to disassemble it completely.
- Remove the parts from the motor housing.
- Rinse the jar and blades with water, and add 1-2 drops of dish soap.
- Wash these parts under warm water.
- Place the jar (pitcher) and the lid on the top rack of your dishwasher.
- When loading the blender parts, ensure that they are not touching each other or any other dishes inside the dishwasher.
- Start the washing. Once the cycle is complete, remove your blender components from the dishwasher.
- Let them air dry completely before reassembling them.
Handwash the blades
- It’s strongly recommended to hand wash the blades.
- Use warm water and soap to clean the blades thoroughly.
- Do not use abrasive sponges or steel wool as they can damage the blades or leave scratches that can trap bacteria or stains.
Dishwashing A Blender FAQs
Are blenders dishwasher safe? Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about dishwashing blenders.
Is it safe to put the entire blender in the dishwasher?
You should never put the entire blender in the dishwasher. This can ruin the motor and render your blender useless.
The jars and lids are dishwasher safe, but avoid washing the blades and motor housing in the dishwasher, or hold it under running water.
If you do, your blender will break down, or worse: if you connect it to power and turn it on, this may cause an electric short circuit, and a fire.
Can I put my blender in the washing machine?
You should not put your blender in the washing machine. Washing machines are for clothing and textiles. If you mean, dishwasher, the answer is no as well.
The motor and other electrical components can be fatally damaged by being exposed to water and high temperatures.
It’s important to only put the parts of your blender that are dishwasher safe in the dishwasher. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
What is the easiest way to clean a blender?
The easiest and safest way to clean a blender is to use warm water and dish soap.
- Fill the blender with warm soapy water and blend for about 30 seconds.
- Then, rinse everything thoroughly.
- You can also use a bottle brush to deep clean the blender if needed.
- Clean the blender base with a damp cloth; don't soak it in water, or let water run over it.
- Wash the blades and gaskets by hand. Be very careful with the blades: they are very sharp. Keep kids at a distance.
Can I put my Nutribullet blender in the dishwasher?
The cups and lids of the NutriBullet blender are top-rack dishwasher safe. Needless to say, but never put the blender base in the dishwasher.
You should avoid putting the blades in the dishwasher as they can get damaged or blunt. It's best to handwash these parts with warm, soapy water.
Is Magic Bullet Blender dishwasher safe?
The Magic Bullet Blender is dishwasher-safe. You can put the cups and lids in your dishwasher for easy cleaning.
However, the blades should be hand washed in warm, soapy water to avoid any damage. The blender base should be cleaned with a damp cloth, and never be put in the dishwasher.
Is it OK to put a Vitamix in dishwasher?
Vitamix blenders are dishwasher safe, as far as their pitchers and lids are concerned. Do not put the blender base in the dishwasher. It will effectively kill the blender motor.
The blades should not be placed in the dishwasher as it can damage them. You should hand wash these parts with warm, soapy water.
Is a Philips blender dishwasher safe?
Most Philips blenders are dishwasher-safe. You can put the jar and lid in your dishwasher for easy cleaning. You should avoid putting the blades in the dishwasher as they can get damaged or become blunt.
It's best to hand wash these parts with warm, soapy water. Never put the blender base in the dishwasher. This may well ruin the blender motor.
Are Ninja blenders dishwasher safe?
Like with most countertop blenders, the Ninja blender dishwasher safe parts are its pitcher and lid. Its other parts (blades, gaskets, and most importantly, the motor base) are not. These should be carefully hand washed.
Is my Breville blender dishwasher safe?
The answer to this question depends on the model of the Breville blender you are using. The blender base should never be put in the dishwasher.
While many Breville blenders are dishwasher safe, some models are not. Always check the manufacturer’s instructions to be sure.
Generally speaking, blenders with removable blades are safe to clean in a dishwasher, while those with non-removable blades are not.
Is my KitchenAid blender dishwasher safe?
In general, the containers and lids of KitchenAid blenders are top-rack dishwashers safe. Never put the blender base, containing the motor, in the dishwasher.
However, the blades should not be placed in the dishwasher, as it can damage them. It's best to hand wash these parts with warm water with soap.
Do you have to wash blender after every use?
You should wash your blender after each use. You should rinse the jar and blades with warm water and add a few drops of dish soap to clean the blender thoroughly. When you do this, you don't need to put the blender in the dishwasher.
Don’t forget to disassemble it completely and remove all the parts from the motor housing before washing it. This way, you can keep your blender clean and in good condition for years to come.
Tips & Tricks
- If you’re unsure about a particular part, it’s best to wash it by hand using warm soapy water and a soft sponge.
- Remember to always remove any large food particles or debris from the blender components before placing them in the dishwasher, and use caution when loading: avoid touching the sharp blades.
- Always consult your blender's instruction manual to understand which parts can be put in the dishwasher.
In general, anything that doesn't contain the motor or electrical components can be put in the dishwasher. By following these simple steps, you can be sure that your blender is always clean and ready to go.
Need a quality blender? Check out the blog post below on the best blenders with glass jars for your kitchen.
With the right care and attention, your blender can be kept in good condition, and can be a joy to use for years to come!