Chicken chimichangas is a Mexican dish consisting of a deep-fried burrito. The burrito is typically filled with chicken, cheese, and re-fried beans, and served with a variety of toppings, such as sour cream, salsa, and guacamole.
With this foolproof baking method, you can make the crispiest chicken chimichangas of your life at home. Let's get started!
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- vegetable oil, for frying
- sour cream and guacamole, for serving (optional)
How do you make chicken chimichangas?
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, combine chicken, black beans, salsa, cheddar cheese, and green onions.
3. Place about 1/2 cup of the mixture in the center of each tortilla. Fold the bottom up to cover the filling, then fold in the sides and roll them up tightly.
- Bake method:
4. Place the chimichangas seam-side down on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush with vegetable oil.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Fry method:
4. Pour vegetable oil into a large skillet, and heat over medium-high heat. Fry the chimichangas in the hot oil until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
5. Serve with sour cream and guacamole, if desired.
The baked chicken chimichangas are a healthier twist on the classic fried chicken chimichanga recipe. If you need a baking pan for your chimichangas, we highly recommend check out the below blog post. We have done all the research and reviewed 5 best items we've found. Check them out to get your baking pan and make the delicious crispy chicken chimichangas that everyone will love!