When it comes to classic cuisines, French food is undoubtedly one of the most well-known and respected. This is in part due to the intricate flavors and techniques that go into each dish.
While many of us are familiar with traditional French fare like croissants and baguettes, escargot and foie gras, there is one particular soup that often gets overlooked: French onion soup.
If you're looking for a hearty, yet elegant soup to make for your family, look no further than this recipe for the best French soup you'll ever taste. Your family will be begging for seconds (and thirds!).
French Soup Recipe
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 inch piece ginger, minced
- 4 cups beef/ or chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch kale, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Gruyere cheese, grated
- Gouda cheese, grated
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, sauté onions, garlic, carrots, celery, leek, and ginger in butter and olive oil over medium heat until softened.
2. Add broth, bay leaves, thyme, and white wine (if using), and bring to a simmer.
3. Add cannelloni beans and kale, and cook until the kale is wilted.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Toss grated Gruyere and Gouda cheese in the soup
6. Serve hot with a piece of crusty bread for dipping. Enjoy!
Bread To Serve With French Soup - Options For Egg Substitute
As for the egg substitute in bread, there are a few options that work just as well as the real thing.
- One option is to use arrowroot powder or tapioca flour mixed with water.
- Another option is to use mashed banana. Mashed banana makes an excellent egg replacement and adds a subtle sweetness to the bread. Simply add it in place of the eggs called for in your recipe.
Tips & Tricks
This soup is deceptively simple to make, yet the end result is a deliciously complex flavor that is sure to impress even the most discernible palate.
1.The Onions: The key to a good French onion soup is in the onions themselves. Make sure to use yellow onions as they have a higher sugar content which will caramelize better when cooked.
2.The Broth: The next important element is the broth. For a truly authentic French soup, use beef broth; however, chicken or vegetable broth can be substituted if you are looking for a vegetarian option.
If you're looking for a unique and impressive dish to make at home, look no further than French onion soup. This classic soup is easy to make and only requires a few ingredients that you likely already have on hand.
Save space on your kitchen countertop with a multipurpose appliance that can do it all - blend, mince, chop and mix.
To save you time, we've done the research and compiled a list of the best blender and food processor combo models on the market in this blog post - so take a look! With this timesaving gadget, you'll be able to make crab cake sauce and various side dishes quickly.