The grilled cheese and tomato soup bowl is the ultimate comfort food. This dish combines two of our all-time favorite comfort foods into one delicious, easy-to-make meal. And it's perfect for chilly weather! Here's step-by-step guide. Check it out!
How To Make Grilled Cheese And Tomato Soup
1. Tomato Soup
- 2 of 28oz cans of whole peeled tomatoes,
- 1 of medium-sized chopped red onion,
- 30-40g (or 8 cloves) of sliced garlic,
- 50-60g (or 4 tablespoons) of a very long squeeze of olive oil,
- 15g (or 2 1/2 teaspoons) of salt,
- 15g (or 3 2/3 teaspoons) of sugar,
- 750mL (or 3 cups) of chicken stock (plus an additional 75g or so to help thin the soup out if needed),
- 40g (or 3 tablespoons) of tomato paste,
- Optional: 1 of chipotle chili in adobo sauce for an extra kick in flavor,
- Some freshly grated Parmesan cheese or other hard cheese for garnish,
- Some freshly minced chives as a garnish too,
- A generous drizzle of olive oil, plus
- A pinch of freshly ground pepper.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C)
- In a large baking dish or Dutch oven, pour in 2 cans of diced tomatoes, an onion, minced garlic, olive oil, salt sugar chicken stock and tomato paste.
- Add chili in adobo sauce to taste, (if desired).
- Stir all ingredients together to combine.
- Place the whole baking dish or Dutch oven in the preheated oven.
- Bake the whole dish for about 1 hour, stirring halfway through the cooking time.
- After 60 minutes of cooking in the oven, take it out and divide into 2 batches. Load each half of the “soup” into a blender to blend until smooth. The soup will be hot so use caution during this step.
- Once blended into a silky texture, pour it over a fine mesh strainer placed over a sauce pot and press down with a spoon to force the soup through. This helps to create a finer smooth texture for the soup.
- Pour the remaining soup into the blender and blend until smooth.
- If you want a thinner soup, add some more chicken stock. Season the soup with salt to taste.
- Top with chives, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper.
- Keep your soup on low heat so it doesn't get cold while you make the grilled cheese sandwiches.
2. Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 125g or 1 stick of butter, made from cow's milk and containing at least 80% fat
- 75g or 1/4 cup plus 1 heaping tablespoon of mayonnaise, typically containing eggs, oil, and vinegar
- 15g or 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard (a French variety of yellow mustard with a slightly stronger flavor)
- Basic hearty white bread, usually made with enriched wheat flour and yeast
- American cheese, a semi-hard type of cheese made from processed cheddar;
- Gruyere cheese, a Swiss hard cheese made from unpasteurized cow's milk;
- Provolone cheese, an Italian semi-hard cheese made from full-fat pasteurized cow's milk.
- Begin by adding butter, mayonnaise and Dijon mustard to a food processor.
- Pulse until the ingredients are thoroughly smooth, and combined, then set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-low heat,
- Generously spread the butter/mayo/mustard mixture over one side of two slices of bread.
- Place both slices in the pan with the buttered side down, then layer on slices of American cheese, or Gruyere cheese, or Provolone cheese and another slice of American cheese.
- Gently press down on each sandwich with a spatula for about 30 seconds to help it hold together.
- Cook for an additional 90 seconds or until the first side is golden brown and the cheeses have begun to melt.
- Carefully flip each sandwich over and toast for an additional two minutes or until the second side is also golden brown and all of the cheese has melted completely.
Tips & Tricks
- If you're feeling extra fancy you can add a smear of fig jam to the grilled cheese and a tablespoon of roasted red peppers to the soup.
- You can even top your grilled cheese with some fried onions or mushrooms for added texture.
- For a heartier grilled cheese and soup experience, add some cooked bacon or ham to your grilled cheese and top the soup with a dollop of sour cream before serving.
- And don’t forget: grilled cheese and tomato soup always pair best with an ice-cold glass of milk!
This dish is the ultimate comfort food! It's easy to make and perfect for a cold day. So next time you're in the mood for something warm and cheesy, give this grilled cheese and tomato soup bowl a try. You won't be disappointed!
Need an assistant for chopping and blending tasks? What's the best food processor under $100? Look no further! We've gathered the 5 best affordable food processors for you, all within your budget.
After reading this post, you'll have a much better understanding of which style suits your needs best and be ready to cook for your loved ones this holiday season!