Whether you’re looking to get a jump start on your morning or just need a little afternoon pick-me-up, an americano is the perfect way to do it.
But what exactly is an americano? An americano is simply espresso with hot water added. It’s that simple! Now let’s dive into the different ways of making this flavorful and energizing beverage.
Making An Americano: 4 Ways
Whether you want to use a Nespresso machine, a Breville espresso machine, a Keurig, or even a moka pot, we’ve got you covered. Read on for our step-by-step guide on how to make an americano in whatever way works best for you!
1. Make An Americano With Nespresso
If you have a Nespresso machine, making an americano couldn’t be easier and quicker.
- Insert the appropriate Nespresso pod into your machine, select the espresso button, and voila! You’ve got yourself some delicious espresso.
- Fill up two cups with hot water and add one shot of espresso to each cup.
- Stir up. And that’s it—you just made yourself two cups of americanos!
- If you like your coffee on the stronger side, use two shots of espresso instead.
2. Make An Americano With Breville Espresso Machine
If you have a Breville espresso machine, making an americano works a little differently than with a Nespresso machine.
- Prepare the machine. Make sure your portafilter is firmly in place, and then fill it up with ground coffee.
- Fill the water tank of your Breville machine and turn it on.
- Tamp down the grounds. Once it has been filled, tamp down the grounds until they are flat and even. This ensures that all of the water will pass through evenly when extracting your espresso shot.
- Brew the coffee. Once tamping is complete, place your portafilter in your Breville. Press the “brew” button.
- Mixing. When the extraction is complete, add one shot of espresso to two cups filled with hot water for a classic americano.
- Stir and enjoy!
3. Make An Americano Using A Keurig
For those who don’t have access to an espresso machine but still want to enjoy an americano at home, using a Keurig is an option.
- Select “6 ounces” as your brew size setting on your Keurig
- Insert either K-Cups or pods (It depends on what model of coffee maker you have).
- Brew the coffee. Press the “brew” button.
- Mixing. Once brewing is finished, pour that same 6 ounces into two separate cups filled with hot water for two perfect americanos every time!
- Stir and enjoy!
4. Make An Americano With A Moka Pot
If you prefer something more traditional when making coffee at home, then using a moka pot is the perfect choice.
- Fill up your moka pot's lower chamber with cold water and make sure not to overfill it (stop right below the middle valve).
- Fill it up with ground coffee. Take off the top chamber and fill it up with ground coffee (do not tamp down). You should not press down too hard on the grounds because this will cause blockages while brewing later on.
- Put everything back together. Screw the top back onto the bottom section tightly (make sure the safety valve is open).
- Place it on the stovetop at medium heat until the top chamber starts filling up with steam. You will hear bubbling noises coming from inside the pot—this means it's done brewing!
- Mix & enjoy. Once extraction is complete add one shot of espresso into two separate cups filled with hot water for two classic americanos.
Tips & Tricks
No matter how you make your americano, here are a few tips to help elevate your experience:
- For extra sweetness add some sugar or simple syrup.
- If you like your coffee extra creamy, add some steamed milk for a latte-like drink.
- For something more refreshing, try adding some ice and a splash of orange juice for an americano sunrise.
- If you want a stronger taste, double the shots of espresso when making your americano.
- Experiment with different coffees and flavorings until you find your perfect americano.
There you have it folks–four different ways for you to make yourself some delicious homemade americanos! These recipes are sure to provide you with delicious beverages every time no matter which method you choose.
So grab some beans or grounds and get brewing - it's time to make yourself some delicious americanos! Enjoy!