Are green peas good for you? You bet they are! In fact, they’re quite nutritious, containing a host of vitamins and minerals as well as antioxidants. And they’re easy to cook with, too! Here’s a quick fact about nutritional value of peas as well as an easy recipe for cooking green peas soup. Read on!
Are Green Peas Good For You?
Sure, they’re small and round and often ending up mashed into the carpet or wedged between couch cushions. But there’s more to green peas than meets the eye. In fact, they’re actually quite nutritious!
Nutritional Value Of Peas
The nutritional value of peas varies depending on the variety. Generally, they are a good source of dietary fiber, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, and minerals. Peas are also a good source of antioxidants, which can help protect the body against disease.
Green Peas Benefits For Health
- They’re a good source of plant-based protein. One cup of green peas has about 8 grams of protein, making them a good option for vegetarians and vegans looking to add more protein to their diets.
- They contain fiber. This helps promote digestive health and keeps you feeling fuller longer.
- They’re rich in vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, and potassium.
- Studies have shown that green peas may help reduce the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
How To Make Green Pea Soup
Green pea soup is actually quite easy to make! All you need is a blender (or food processor), some green peas, vegetable broth (or chicken broth), garlic, salt, and pepper. Here’s a quick and easy recipe for green pea soup:
- 1 10-ounce package fresh/ or frozen green peas
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. If using fresh peas, cook them in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. If using frozen peas, no need to cook them ahead of time.
2. Add all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Serve and enjoy! You can garnish with a dollop of yogurt or some chopped fresh herbs like parsley or chives.
In A Nutshell
So there you have it! Green peas are not only nutritious, but they’re also easy to cook with. So the next time you’re at the grocery store, don’t forget to pick up a bag (or two) of green peas!
We know the market for blenders is extensive, so if you're looking to purchase a device that can both blend food and cook soup, we've narrowed it down to the five best blenders for making baby food in this blog post. Check it out and make the best creamy peas soup for your kid and the family!