Are you looking for a reliable and efficient outdoor mini fridge to keep your food and drinks cool for summer gathering days in your backyard or camping?
We have done all the research for you! We have rounded up five of the best outdoor mini fridges on the market that are perfect for any backyard, patio, or outdoor location.
From stainless steel models to energy-efficient designs, each of these outdoor refrigerators has something unique to offer. Read on to learn more about our top picks and find out which one is right for you.
5 PICKS IN THE SPOTLIGHT
Danby Outdoor Mini Fridge
Best In Overall Performance
The Danby mini fridge is a durable, efficient, and environmentally-friendly option for outdoor refrigeration needs. Its practical design and quiet operation make it a great choice for any outdoor area that needs access to cool beverages or food.
With features like automatic defrost and a mechanical thermostat, you can rest assured that your outdoor mini fridge will provide efficient refrigeration for years to come.
- Waterproof electrical housing and UV-protected plastics make it durable for outdoor use.
- It has four caster wheels that include stainless steel ball bearings to prevent rust.
- It can handle tropical temperatures up to 109°F / 43°C.
- Efficient CanStor beverage dispensing system and tall bottle storage.
- It's Energy Star compliant and uses environmentally-friendly R600a refrigerant.
- Reversible door hinges and adjustable shelves increase flexibility.
- 4.4 cubic feet capacity is efficient for a small gathering, but it may be too small for some outdoor spaces or a large family gathering or party.
- The door can be opened from either side, but it cannot be locked when opened from the wrong side.
- It is a freestanding fridge and not suitable for an outdoor kitchen setup.
- It doesn't have a freezer compartment.
- Product Dimensions: 20.75"D x 21.31"W x 33.06"H
- Capacity: 4.4 Cubic Feet (124 Liters)
- Configuration: Compact, Freezerless
- Energy Star: True
- Installation Type: Freestanding
NewAir Outdoor Refrigerator
Best In Durability
Consider the NewAir refrigerator if you need a durable and energy-efficient fridge that can withstand harsh weather conditions, including extreme temperatures and rain.
It comes with convenient features like digital temperature controls, adjustable shelves, door-activated LED light, and an auto-closing door, making it ideal for outdoor entertaining.
- You can easily adjust the temperature of the fridge using the digital control panel and choose to set it as low as 32°F.
- The fridge has a sturdy 304-grade stainless-steel finish that can endure harsh weather conditions.
- Additionally, it includes an auto-closing lock feature to avoid the door left open by accident.
- The adjustable shelves allow to stock up to 90 standard cans of 12 fl. oz, or you can customize them to fit larger bottles and packaged food.
- Moreover, the door-activated LED light presents ease in finding what you need.
- This stainless steel fridge is at the highest price point in our selection.
- The fridge has a small capacity which may not be sufficient for bigger groups or outdoor gatherings.
- It doesn't have a freezer compartment which some users may find inconvenient.
- Also, setting up the fridge may require extra (professional) effort whether through built-in or stand-alone installation.
- Product Dimensions: 23.25"D x 15"W x 36"H
- Capacity: 32 Liters
- Configuration: Freezerless
- Installation Type: Built-In
- Defrost System: Automatic
EUHOMY Portable Refrigerator
Best In Versatility
EUHOMY's portable refrigerator has several features that make it convenient to use. These include dual-zone storage capacity, smart battery protection, powerful cooling capabilities, and a Bluetooth connection. Additionally, temperature adjustment and remote control are made easy through an LCD touch panel.
- Dual storage areas with a 59-quart capacity can hold up to 58 cans of cola, 36 bottles of water, or 18 bottles of red wine.
- Smart battery protection system with three levels to prevent overload or short-circuiting, and save energy.
- This product includes an LCD touch panel and Bluetooth control that allow easy adjustment of temperatures between -4℉-68℉ (-20℃-+20℃). It also has a helpful remote control feature.
- Efficient 3D refrigeration technology and low noise operation at 40 decibels.
- No built-in freezer.
- Limited color options, only available in gray.
- Higher price point compared to other portable refrigerators on the market.
- Not suitable for outdoor use in extreme temperatures or during heavy rainfall.
- Product Dimensions: 13.58"D x 27.17"W x 20.63"H
- Capacity: 59 Quarts
- Configuration: Compact Internal Freezer
- Installation Type: Outdoor
- Defrost System: Frost Free
BougeRV Portable Refrigerator
Best In Portability
If you're looking for an affordable outdoor mini fridge with basic features, the BougeRV refrigerator is a real marvel. Its fast cooling capabilities and low power consumption make it an ideal choice for camping trips or tailgating.
With its 3-level battery monitor, you can rest assured that your fridge won't run down your car battery.
- Fast cooling technology can quickly cool food down to 32℉ in just 20 minutes and freeze down to -5℉ in just 50 minutes.
- Low power consumption, even on MAX mode, using less than 1kwh/day for cost-effective energy efficiency.
- Quiet operation at only 45dB for undisturbed sleep during long trips.
- Equipped with a 3-level battery monitor for voltage protection to prevent complete battery drain.
- Limited storage capacity of only 30 Quarts.
- No color options, only available in black.
- Not suitable for use in extreme temperatures or heavy rainfall.
- Lacks dual-zone storage and smart control features of other portable refrigerators.
- Product Dimensions: 22.24"D x 12.4"W x 15.15"H
- Capacity: 30 Quarts
- Freezer Capacity: 28 Liters
- Installation Type: Freestanding
Alpicool Portable Refrigerator
Best In Affordable Price
The Alpicool refrigerator is a reliable choice for those looking for a 2-in-1 fridge and freezer function with deep chilling-down performance.
Its anti-shake design and durable construction make it suitable for tough road conditions, while the LCD control panel and 3-stage battery protection ensure easy operation and vehicle battery safety.
- Has both fridge and freezer functions with a deep chilling down performance of -4°F (= -20°C).
- Anti-shake design with durable and reliable construction for use in tough conditions (think off-road, truck, and SUV trips).
- LCD control panel for easily monitoring temperature settings and choosing battery protection modes.
- 3-stage battery protection to prevent the vehicle battery from running down.
- Quiet operation at less than 45dB for undisturbed sleep.
- Limited storage capacity of only 26 Quarts (25 Liters).
- Not suitable for use in extreme temperatures or heavy rain.
- No color options, only available in one design.
- Lacks advanced features such as dual-zone storage or smart controls.
- Product Dimensions: 13.2"D x 13.8"W x 23.03"H
- Capacity: 26 Quart (25 Liters)
- Configuration: Compact Internal Freezer
- Installation Type: Outdoor
Outdoor Mini Fridges: Buying Guide
Whether you’re an avid camper, a die-hard festival fan, or the ultimate tailgater, having the best outdoor mini fridge is essential to store and keep your food and drinks chilled while you’re on the move.
But with so many different makes, models and features to choose from, it can be difficult to know which one is right for you. Here are some tips and questions and answers to help you search and pick the perfect item:
Criteria to look for when buying an outdoor fridge
When you are shopping for an outdoor mini fridge, there are a few key features to consider.
- Size: Depending on your needs, you'll want to make sure the outdoor fridge is large enough for all of your storage needs and items.
- Temperature Range: You'll need to check the temperature range of the fridge to make sure it can reach the desired temperatures, both high and low.
- Power Consumption: This will help you determine how much power your outdoor fridge consumes, so you can make sure it won't drain your car battery.
- Durability: You should also check to make sure the outdoor mini fridge is made from durable materials and can withstand extreme temperatures and tough road or sea conditions, so it will serve you for a long time.
- Protective insulation: Look for a fridge with protective insulation to make sure your food stays safe and cold, even in extreme temperatures.
- Battery Protection: Look for a fridge with battery protection features to make sure it won't run down your vehicle's battery.
- Portable/ Built-in: Pay attention to whether the fridge is portable or built-in, as this will determine what place you can use it.
- Extra Features: Consider looking for fridges with extra features such as dual-zone storage or smart control for added convenience.
- Price: Last but not least, you'll want to stay within your budget and make sure the outdoor fridge fits your price range.
Ultimately, the best outdoor mini fridge for you will depend on your preferences, a number of features and intended results, so it’s important to take all of these features into account when making a purchasing decision and place your order.
An indoor mini fridge vs outdoor mini fridge
An outdoor mini fridge is designed to be used outside, meaning it has features and materials that make it more durable and resistant to extreme temperatures, weather conditions, and rough terrain, on a river or at sea. These features include an anti-shock design, reinforced walls, and protective insulation.
Indoor mini-fridges are usually more lightweight and not as durable as outdoor models. They don’t have the same features and may not be able to withstand extreme temperatures or rough terrain. Indoor mini-fridges are also not designed to be used in vehicles, so they don’t come with the same battery protection features as outdoor models.
The different types of outdoor refrigerators
The four main types of outdoor refrigerators are portable, mobile, built-in vehicle coolers and built-in fridges:
- Portable mini coolers are great for camping trips, boat trips, beach activities, BBQ gatherings, and other outdoor activities. They are usually lightweight and compact, making them easy to transport.
- Mobile fridges are designed to be used in any outdoor setting in the backyard gatherings, or garden BBQ. They are usually larger than portable mini fridges. They are lightweight and come with handles for easy transportation, sometimes with wheels, so they can be easily transported between indoor and outdoor locations.
- Built-in vehicle coolers are designed to be installed in vehicles and RV’s. They usually come with battery protection features and are more durable than portable models.
- Built-in fridges for outdoor/ patio kitchen areas are designed to be installed in your outdoor kitchen or patio area. They usually come with extra features such as dual-zone storage and smart controls.
With so many options available, there’s sure to be the perfect outdoor mini fridge for your needs!
Outdoor Small Fridge FAQs
What makes a mini fridge outdoor rated?
Outdoor refrigerators are designed to withstand harsh weather conditions, extreme temperatures, and rough terrain or at sea. They usually have anti-shock design, reinforced walls, and protective insulation to help them stay cool and protect the food inside.
Outdoor fridges also come with additional features such as battery protection and dual-zone storage to make sure they won't run down your vehicle's or ship's battery and keep food safe.
How many watts does an outdoor mini-fridge use?
The wattage of an outdoor mini-fridge varies depending on the size and type. Generally, a medium-sized fridge will use around 120-140 watts, while a larger fridge will use around 200-300 watts. It's best to check the wattage of your specific mini-fridge before making a purchase.
What temperature should outdoor fridge be?
The ideal temperature for an outdoor mini fridge is between 37-41 degrees Fahrenheit (2.8-5 Celsius). This range is the optimal setting for keeping food and drinks cool, without freezing them.
A higher temperature can cause food to spoil faster, while a lower temperature can freeze the contents and damage the motor.
Should an outdoor fridge be locked?
Although an outdoor fridge usually doesn't come with a lock, it's not a bad idea to make sure children or (uninvited) guests do not rob its contents.
Can a regular mini fridge be put outside?
No, a regular mini fridge should not be used outdoors as it is not designed to withstand extreme temperatures and weather conditions.
Outdoor fridges are specifically designed to be used in outdoor settings, and regular mini fridges should only be used inside.
Can you put a fridge outside in a shed?
Yes, you can put a fridge in a shed as long as it is an outdoor-rated mini fridge. Outdoor fridges are designed to withstand extreme temperatures and weather conditions, making them the perfect choice for a shed. Make sure to purchase an outdoor-rated model that is the right size for your shed.
Will the stainless steel fridge rust outside?
No, stainless steel fridges will not rust outside as they are made with corrosion-resistant materials. However, they should still be kept clean and covered when not in use to protect them and other parts of the fridge from rusting.
How do I keep my outside refrigerator from rusting?
The best way to keep your outside mini fridge from rusting is by covering it when not in use and regularly cleaning it.
Regularly inspect the fridge for any rust spots and use a stainless steel cleaner to remove them. Additionally, you can use a sealant to protect the fridge from further damage.
Should you cover an outdoor fridge?
Yes, it is a good idea to cover an outdoor mini fridge when not in use. This will help protect it from extreme weather conditions and keep it looking like new.
Thanks to its cover, this helps to keep dust and debris from getting inside the fridge, which can damage the motor or its other parts.
How do I prepare my outdoor refrigerator for winter?
Preparing your outdoor mini fridge for winter is a simple process. Make sure to clean the inside and outside of the fridge thoroughly and check for any rust spots.
Cover the fridge to protect it from rainfall and extreme weather conditions and keep dust and debris out. Additionally, make sure the temperature is set between 37-41 degrees Fahrenheit (2.8-5 Celsius).
How do I protect my outdoor fridge from rain?
The best way to protect your outdoor mini fridge from rainfall is by using a waterproof cover. Make sure to purchase one that is designed for outdoor use and is the right size for your fridge. Additionally, you can use a sealant to further protect the fridge from water damage.
The Best Outdoor Compact Fridge For You
To shop for the best outdoor mini fridge for your needs can be difficult. However, with the right research and knowledge, you can find a model that fits your outdoor lifestyle and is perfect for keeping your food and drinks cool.
Which one out of these 5 picks is your choice?