Are you in the mood for something richer and creamier? Breve coffee is here to save your day!
In this blog post, we'll dive into everything you need to know about breve coffee, how it differs from latte, and how to make the perfect breve at home.
So, hop on this breve bandwagon, and let's get started!
What Is A Breve?
Breve is a creamy espresso drink made with steamed half-and-half instead of whole milk, which gives its rich, velvety texture.
It's a coffee beverage that originated in the United States in the 1980s. A breve is an Italian word that means "short" or "brief."
Breve coffee is typically served in a smaller cup than a latte, with a more concentrated espresso flavor.
A Breve vs A Latte
While both drinks are made with espresso and milk, that's where the similarities end.
- The key difference between a breve and a latte is that a latte is made with steamed milk, while a breve swaps out the milk for half-and-half or cream.
- A breve is made with half-and-half, which gives it a richer, creamier texture, and higher fat content than a latte.
- A latte, on the other hand, is made with steamed milk, which makes it lighter and more frothy, more delicate in flavor.
It all comes down to personal preference. If you're looking for a drink that's a little less milky and a little more creamy, a breve is your way to go. If you prefer a more classic espresso flavor with just a touch of sweetness, stick to a latte.
A Breve vs A Cappuccino
While both drinks are made with espresso and milk, they differ in the ratio of espresso to milk.
- A cappuccino usually has equal parts espresso, steamed milk, and foam on top.
- A breve, on the other hand, is made with a higher espresso-to-milk ratio and is topped with only a light layer of foam.
- A breve also has a slightly sweeter taste due to the half-and-half, while a cappuccino is more bitter.
So, if you're looking for a sweeter coffee flavor that's creamy and indulgent, a breve is the drink to make.
How To Make A Breve
- 1 shot of espresso
- 1/2 cup of half and half or cream
- 1 shot of a flavored syrup of your choice (optional)
- Steam the half-and-half or cream in a saucepan between 150-160°F (hot but not boiling), until it reaches a creamy consistency.
- Pull a shot of espresso and pour it into your cup.
- Add the flavored syrup if desired.
- Use a frother or whisk to foam the half-and-half until it's thick and creamy.
- Pour the steamed half-and-half over the espresso, and voila!
You've just made yourself a delicious, creamy breve coffee.
What does a breve taste like?
A breve is a creamy, indulgent espresso drink that has a hint of sweetness and a velvety texture.
The taste varies depending on the type of cream or half-and-half used, as well as any added syrups or toppings. But overall, it's a delicious, creamy coffee that's sure to please.
Does a breve have more caffeine than a latte?
No, a breve and a latte both have the same amount of caffeine since they are both made with espresso. The difference is in the texture, as a breve is made with half-and-half of steamed milk, giving it a richer and creamier texture than a latte.
How much fat is in a breve?
A breve is made with half-and-half or cream, which gives it a higher fat content than a latte. However, the exact amount of fat depends on the type of dairy product used. In general, a breve contains up to 48 grams of fat per 16 oz serving.
Is a breve hot or iced?
A breve can be served hot or iced, depending on your preference.
- If you're wanting a cold beverage, simply pour the steamed half-and-half over some ice and add a shot of espresso.
- For a hot beverage, steam the half-and-half before pouring it over the espresso.
Either way, you'll have a delicious coffee drink that's sure to satisfy your cravings!
Tips & Tricks
- One thing to keep in mind if you're making a breve at home is that you'll need to use half-and-half instead of whole milk. Half and half is a combination of whole milk and heavy cream, which gives it that luscious, velvety texture that makes a breve so special.
- Keep in mind when making a breve at home is the temperature of the half-and-half. You want to steam it to a temperature between 150-160°F, to avoid scorching the milk.
- Be careful not to over-steam the milk, as it can break down and become too thick and unmanageable.
- You can also experiment with different flavors and toppings for your breve coffee. Add some caramel or chocolate syrup, top it off with whipped cream and cinnamon, or sprinkle some shaved chocolate on top.
Breve coffee is richer, creamier, and more indulgent than your regular latte or cappuccino. It is a delightful concoction that's sure to elevate your coffee game.
Need an affordable espresso machine? Check out the top picks of best espresso machines under 200 USD in the blog post below!
So give the breve a try! Happy brewing!