In need of something sweet and strong simultaneously? Something that revives you and alleviates the taste buds down, extinguishing both the thirst for sugar and caffeine? Try out Affogato.
But what exactly is it? We will explain further and share with you tips and tricks on how you can easily make this scrumptious dessert at home. Read further!
What Is An Affogato?
Affogato is an Italian-style coffee-based dessert. It consists of a scoop of vanilla ice cream, topped with a shot or double shots of hot espresso, and sometimes accompanied by some crunchy treats.
The meaning of the word "affogato" itself is “drowned” in Italian – referring to how you are literally “drowning” the ice cream in espresso. The combination of sweetness and bitterness creates an incredible flavor that is irresistible to many – and it can be ready in minutes.
How To Make An Affogato
The ideal affogato is basic, and constructing it is a breeze! To make one, all you need is a scoop of your favorite ice cream and a shot of hot espresso.
Step 1: Brew Your Coffee
- Start by brewing a cup of one-shot or double shots of espresso or strong black coffee.
- You want the flavors to be bold so that they can stand up to the richness of the ice cream.
- If you don't have an espresso machine, feel free to make a shot by using a moka pot, or an Aeropress, or a coffee filter, all things considered, these will work as well.
Step 2: Scoop Ice Cream
- You can use any flavor of ice cream you like for this dessert.
- Vanilla is the classic choice, but feel free to experiment with other flavors like chocolate, salted caramel, or hazelnut.
- Just make sure you choose a good quality ice cream that's creamy and indulgent.
Step 3: Assemble Your Affogato
- In a glass or an ice-cream dessert bowl, scoop a generous serving of ice cream.
- Pour the hot coffee over the ice cream.
- You can add a shot of your favorite liqueur or syrup to elevate the flavor, but don't overdo it as you don't want to overpower the taste of the coffee and ice cream.
Step 4: Serve And Enjoy
- As soon as the coffee and ice cream mix, the magic happens.
- The hot coffee starts to melt the ice cream, creating a creamy and velvety texture that's simply irresistible.
- Serve immediately and use a spoon to mix everything to enjoy a rich and smooth blend of flavors.
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about affogatos:
Is an affogato a single or double shot?
The serving size of an affogato will vary depending on what type of coffee you are using. For a regular espresso, one shot should be enough, but if you are using a moka pot or an Aeropress, two shots of espresso should be used. If you want more caffeine, feel free to add an extra shot.
How do you drink an affogato?
It's simple: just scoop it up with a spoon and enjoy! The creamy and velvety texture of the melted ice cream mixed with hot espresso makes for a delicious treat.
You can also enjoy it with a crunchy biscuit or cookie. You can even add a shot of your favorite liqueur for some extra flavor if you want.
What's the difference between gelato and affogato?
Gelato is a type of frozen dessert that's made with milk, sugar, and other ingredients. It has less fat and air than regular ice cream and a denser, thicker consistency.
Affogato is an Italian dessert that consists of a scoop of gelato or ice cream drowned in hot espresso. Both desserts are delicious and can be enjoyed any time of day or night!
What are the toppings for affogato?
The toppings for affogato can depend on what you like. Feel free to experiment with what you like best and enjoy!
Some popular toppings for affogato include cocoa powder, chopped hazelnuts, pistachio nuts, biscotti, Italian cookies, whipped cream, chocolate chips, chocolate shavings, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, or even a shot of liqueur.
Tips & Tricks
- The secret is to make the espresso continuously hot and poured over the ice cream, which will start to soften, but not liquefy.
- The temperature of the coffee is crucial, as it must be hot enough to melt the ice cream, but not hot to the point that it will cook it.
- For the ice cream, use vanilla, as it has a fundamental flavor and won't battle with your espresso flavor.
- Use a transparent cup to present this wonderful treat beautifully. Pre-chill the cup in the cooler for an hour before filling it with ice cream.
- To make your affogato even more special, you can sprinkle some cocoa powder or chopped nuts on top for some extra texture and flavor.
- If you're making multiple servings, brew a large pot of coffee ahead. Before serving, warm it up, and keep it hot so that all the affogatos can be served perfectly at the same time.
There you have it, 4 simple steps to making a fantastic dessert - the affogato! You don't need to be a master chef to make one, and it can be stylized to meet your preferences.
You want your espresso to be strong and flavorful, and a good-quality machine or manual coffee maker will ensure that. Check out our picks of best Italian coffee makers and find your favorite coffee gadget!
With just a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of your time, you can create a dessert that's both elegant and comforting. Enjoy!