Grilled cheese sandwich is a comfort food that practically everyone loves. The best part about this sandwich is that you can make it in many different ways.
With the help of your toaster oven, you can easily make a delicious grilled cheese sandwich without the need for a stove or a sandwich maker.
We’re going to share with you a step-by-step guide on how to make a grilled cheese, as well as some variations you can use to take your sandwich to the next level.
Making A Toaster Oven Grilled Cheese Sandwich
1. Prepare Your Ingredients
- 4 slices of your favorite sandwich bread (we’ll cover bread options later in this post)
- Butter or margarine to lightly spread on the bread
- 2 cheese slices (Cheddar, Gouda, Mozzarella, Swiss cheese, etc.)
- Make sure you select bread that is not too thin and has a firm texture.
- Start by preheating your toaster oven to 350°F.
- It will take about 5 minutes to preheat your oven.
3. Assemble Your Sandwich
- Take one or two bread slices and butter the exterior of each slice.
- Place them on a plate, buttered-side down,
- Layer the cheese between the two slices.
- Close the sandwich by placing the other bread slice on top.
- Make sure to press down firmly so that the cheese is evenly distributed.
4. Toast Your Sandwich
- Once the oven has heated up, place your sandwich on a baking sheet.
- You can use parchment paper or aluminum foil to keep your baking sheet clean.
- Put the baking sheet in your toaster oven and let it cook for about 4 minutes.
- Flip the sandwich over. Then toast for another 2 minutes.
5. Check The Sandwich’s Doneness
- To check that the sandwich is ready, look at the color of the bread. It should be golden brown.
- You can also touch the sandwich lightly with a fork. If it’s crispy and the cheese has melted, your sandwich is done.
- Take your sandwich out of the toaster oven, let it cool for 1 minute.
6. Serve Your Grilled Cheese
- Cut it into two pieces.
- Using this method, you can make a perfectly toasted grilled cheese sandwich in just about 12 minutes.
- Serve your sandwich with your favorite side dishes such as crispy French fries, tomato soup, or perhaps a simple salad. Enjoy!
Grilled Cheese Variations
1. Different Types Of Bread
Hearty multigrain bread, rye bread, whole wheat bread, pumpernickel bread, and sourdough bread are great options for grilled cheese sandwiches.
You can also experiment with different types of cheese to create unique variations. Here’s a quick breakdown of each:
- Multigrain bread: This type of bread is made with a mixture of different grains and seeds, providing a slightly nutty flavor and hearty texture.
- Rye bread: Rye bread has a distinct flavor and is a good choice if you want to add some depth to your grilled cheese.
- Whole wheat bread: Whole wheat bread adds a nutty flavor while providing a healthy boost of fiber.
- Pumpernickel bread: Pumpernickel bread’s dark color and assertive flavor make it a perfect choice for a rustic and rye-like grilled cheese.
- Sourdough bread: Sourdough bread gives your grilled cheese a tangy kick and a chewy texture.
2. Adds-on Variations
If you want to uplift your regular grilled cheese sandwich for a delicious twist, try adding or replacing any of the following ingredients:
- Cottage cheese, cream cheese, American cheese, Swiss cheese, and blue cheese
- Bacon strips/bits or ham
- Diced tomatoes and basil or other herbs
- Avocado and jalapeno peppers
- Mushrooms and spinach
- Pesto and roasted red peppers
- Apple slices and caramelized onions
- Hot sauce and a sprinkle of cheese
Making Grilled Cheese Sandwiches FAQs
Here are some commonly asked questions about making grilled cheese sandwiches in a toaster oven.
Are grilled cheese sandwiches healthy?
Grilled cheese sandwiches can be a healthy option as long as you use whole-grain bread and low-fat cheeses.
Additionally, adding vegetables such as tomatoes, spinach, and mushrooms to your sandwich will add more nutrients and fiber.
Just remember to not overdo it on the butter or oil, as that can add too much fat and calories.
What is the secret to the best grilled cheese?
The key to the best grilled cheese is finding the right balance of bread, butter, and cheese. Also, be sure to preheat your oven properly so that you get a golden crust with melted cheese. Finally, don’t forget to have fun and experiment with different ingredients to make every sandwich unique!
Do you toast bread before making grilled cheese?
You don't have to toast your bread before assembling the sandwich. Preheating your toaster oven will help you achieve a golden crust on both sides and evenly melted cheese.
What are some side dishes for grilled cheese?
Soups, salads, and fries all make great side dishes for grilled cheese sandwiches. A classic combo is tomato soup with grilled cheese. You can also try chili, coleslaw, mac and cheese, roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, sweet potato fries, and more!
Do you butter both sides of bread for grilled cheese?
You should butter both sides of the bread before assembling your sandwich. This helps achieve a golden crust and gives your sandwich a nice flavor. Be sure to spread the butter lightly so that it doesn't overpower the cheese.
Is it better to make grilled cheese with butter or oil?
It depends on your preference. Butter is a classic choice for grilled cheese, but you can also use oil if you want a healthier alternative. Olive oil, vegetable oil, and coconut oil all work well. Just make sure to heat up the oil in a pan before adding your sandwich.
Why is my grilled cheese not crispy?
If your grilled cheese isn't crispy, it could be because of one of a few reasons. Make sure that you preheat the oven to the right temperature and that your sandwich is not too thick or thin. If the cheese melts before the bread gets golden brown, try lowering the heat slightly.
Why is my cheese on toast not melting?
If your cheese on toast is not melting, it could be because the bread isn't toasted enough. Try preheating the oven for a few extra minutes before adding the sandwich.
Alternatively, you can try grilling the sandwich in a skillet or pan instead of using an oven. This way, you can control how much heat and butter is applied directly to the sandwich.
Why does my cheese on toast go soggy?
If your cheese on toast goes soggy, it could be because the bread was not toasted enough. Try preheating the oven for a few extra minutes before adding the sandwich and flipping it halfway through cooking.
You can also try adding an additional layer of butter over the cheese to help prevent sogginess. This will create a crispy barrier that helps lock in the cheese's moisture.
Can you toast aluminum foil in toaster oven?
You can toast aluminum foil in a toaster oven. However, it is not recommended as the heat of the toaster oven can cause the foil to melt or catch fire.
If you need to use aluminum foil in your toaster oven, make sure that it is at least two inches away from any heating element and be sure to keep a close eye on it.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure that your bread is not overly toasted or it will be too hard to bite into.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of butter or olive oil to the baking sheet when you’re toasting your sandwich. This will help with keeping it from sticking.
- To prevent the cheese from oozing out of your sandwich, layer them onto one side of the bread before closing the sandwich. This will help ensure that your cheese melts evenly throughout the sandwich.
- Avoid shredded cheese, as it may cause the sandwich to become soggy.
- Depending on how thick your bread slices are, you may need to increase or decrease the time in the toaster oven.
- Be sure to check on your sandwich frequently so that it doesn’t get burnt.
Follow these easy steps, and you will end up with heavenly cheesy grilled cheese sandwiches.
IN THE SPOTLIGHT
Making a grilled cheese in a toaster oven is a quick way to satisfy your hunger and a craving for cheese. Pick one and start making your grilled cheeses today!8 BEST AIR FRYER TOASTER OVENS
We hope this guide has inspired you to make your unique grilled cheese sandwich in a toaster oven.
Have fun experimenting with different variations and combinations of ingredients to find one that suits your taste buds. Enjoy!