Are you craving some crispy and perfectly cooked French fries but don't have a deep fryer? The good news: you can make fries in your toaster oven!
In this guide, we will be sharing step-by-step instructions on how to create perfect crispy, baked French fries in a toaster oven. We’ll cover topics such as making fries in a toaster oven using different settings: bake and air fry.
We will also explore the pros and cons of using fresh or frozen potatoes and different types of potatoes to make your French fries extra crispy.
This not only saves you money but also leaves you fully satisfied with a homemade crispy, golden-delicious side dish. Let's start!
How To Make Fries In A Toaster Oven
Step 1: Selecting Potatoes
Not all potatoes are the same when it comes to making French fries.
- Russet potatoes are the most commonly used for French fries due to their higher starch content that crisps up in the oven without falling apart.
- Yukon Gold or red potatoes create softer fries with a sweeter flavor.
Step 2: Fresh Fries vs Frozen Fries
If you’re looking for an easier and quicker option, frozen French fries can be used as well.
- Fresh fries are the healthier option, but they take much longer to prepare.
- Fresh fries are crispy and have a rich potato flavor.
- Frozen fries come pre-cut, making them a quicker option.
- Frozen fries contain preservatives. However, they are more practical.
- If using frozen fries, skip to step 5.
- Note for using frozen fries: Be sure to check the back of the package for instructions on how to prepare the fries properly, as each brand varies.
Step 3: Preheat The Toaster Oven
- Preheat it to 400°F (200°C).
- This temperature is perfect for cooking French fries evenly.
- Preheating will make the fries crispy on the outside while keeping them tender on the inside.
Step 4: Prepare Your Potatoes
While the oven is preheating, prepare the potatoes.
- Wash and dry your potatoes, and cut them into uniform strips.
- If you prefer thinner fries, use a mandolin or French fry cutter to make them consistent in size.
- Soak them in cold water for at least 1 hour, preferably 2-3 hours. This removes excess starch and makes them crispier when they are cooked and prevent them from becoming soggy.
- Once your potatoes are rinsed, pat them dry with paper towels to dry off the moisture completely.
- Then, toss the fries with olive oil or cooking spray to lightly coat them. Season with salt and pepper (or other seasonings as desired).
Step 5: Choose The Setting Baking vs Air Frying
Here's a quick breakdown of the differences in air fryer toaster oven's settings:
- This is perfect for making slightly softer, tender fries that melt in your mouth.
- Use a baking tray.
Air Fry Setting
- This setting provides a delicious crispy texture on the outside of the fries while maintaining a tender and fluffy inside.
- Use an air fry mesh.
Step 6: Cook The Fries
- Place your fries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and put them in the toaster oven.
- Place the baking sheet in a preheated toaster oven at 425°F for 20-25 minutes.
- Flipping them halfway through until they are crispy and reach a desired golden texture.
Air Fry Setting
- Place your fries on an air fryer mesh in the preheated toaster oven; spread evenly.
- Set the toaster oven at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Flip them halfway through until crispy. Keep an eye on your fries, so they don't burn.
Step 7: Enjoy!
- Once cooked, remove the fries from the oven.
- Serve hot with ketchup, mayo or another condiment of your favorite dipping sauce.
- Now, you can enjoy your homemade delicious oven baked French fries.
- Use them as side dishes as is or together with other cooked dishes.
Pair Well With French Fries
French fries are delicious on their own, but sometimes you want to elevate your meal with some additional side dishes. Here are some suggestions:
- Air fried shrimps
- Baked cheese sticks
- Corn on the cob
- Sweet potatoes
- Garlic bread
- Hot dogs
- Chicken wings
- Simple garden salad
Making Fries FAQs
Here are some commonly asked questions about making fries in a toaster oven:
How to make crispy fries in a toaster oven?
The best way to make crispy fries in a toaster oven is to ensure that the potatoes are completely dry, toss them with oil and seasonings, and then bake or air fry at 425°F for 20-25 minutes (for baking) or at 400°F for 20 minutes (for air frying). Flipping them halfway through ensures even cooking and crispiness.
How to make frozen fries in a toaster oven?
To make frozen fries in a toaster oven, preheat the toaster oven at 425°F. Place the frozen fries onto an air fryer mesh and bake for about 20 minutes. Flip them halfway through to ensure even cooking.
How do you fry frozen fries in the toaster oven?
The best way to fry frozen fries in the toaster oven is to preheat the oven at 425°F. Place the frozen fries onto an air fryer mesh for 20 minutes or bake for about 25 minutes, flipping them halfway through to ensure even cooking. Add seasonings or oil before baking.
Why are my French fries not crispy in the oven?
Oven baked fries can be soggy if there is too much moisture on the potatoes. To make sure they are crispy, ensure that you pat dry them with paper towels and season them evenly. Also, air fry or bake French fries at a high temperature of 425°F will help achieve crispiness.
Why are my frozen French fries soggy?
Frozen French fries can be soggy if cooked at too low of a temperature or for too long. To make sure your fries are crispy, bake or air fry them in a preheated toaster oven at 425°F for 20-25 minutes (for baking) or at 400°F for 20 minutes (for air frying), flipping them halfway through.
Is it better to fry or bake frozen fries?
Baking frozen fries results in a slightly softer texture but still crispy on the outside, while air frying them provides a more crunchy and crisp texture. Both methods work well to make delicious, crispy French fries at home.
Do I need to defrost frozen French fries before air frying?
There is no need to defrost the fries before cooking. Just make sure to check the back of the package for instructions on how to prepare them properly, as each brand varies.
What's the best way to cook frozen French fries?
The best way to cook frozen fries is in the toaster oven.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F and adjust the rack so it sits two-thirds of the way up from the bottom.
- Place the fries on a baking sheet and spray with cooking oil or toss with some olive oil before placing them in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then check that they are golden and crisp.
- If they need more time, bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until done.
- To get crispy fries, be sure to turn them once during cooking.
Is a toaster oven better than an air fryer?
A toaster oven is a great way to make delicious fries and other dishes quickly. It is usually larger than an air fryer, so it can accommodate more food at once. It also uses less electricity than an air fryer for the same amount of cooking time.
However, an air fryer provides a crispier texture to food due to its high-speed fan circulating hot air. Ultimately, it just depends on your preference and what you are cooking!
How do restaurants make French fries so crispy?
Restaurants use high-quality oils that are heated to specific temperatures and fry them twice. They also usually have industrial deep fryers, which provide more consistent heat than many home ovens.
Does soaking fries make a difference?
Soaking potatoes in cold water can help remove some of the starches and make them crispier. Soaking also helps to reduce the amount of oil that is absorbed during cooking, resulting in lower fat fries.
How long to soak potatoes before frying?
For best results, soak potatoes for 2 hours in cold water before frying. This will give them enough time to absorb some of the moisture and help make your fries crispier.
What is a baked French fries recipe?
When you ask this question online, you will see many different recipes for oven French fries. In the above article, you find recipes for two kinds of oven fries: home made (fresh) French fries, and frozen French fries.
The recipes you will find online are the same, or slight variations. What makes them different is the various kinds of seasoning you can use.
Tips & Tricks
- To add more flavor, try sprinkling grated Parmesan cheese or garlic powder over the fries before cooking.
- If you’re feeling a little fancy, consider adding toppings such as chili, or bacon bits to your fries for a fun twist on a classic dish.
- You can also add herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano or Italian seasoning for a more complex flavor.
- For a crispier result, coat a thin layer of cornstarch on fries before cooking.
- For an even crispier fry, try double-frying them. The first fry cooks the potato and the second fries makes them super crispy.
- Experiment with different types of potatoes and settings as desired until you find the perfect combination for your taste.
- Reheating French fries or leftover fries works best when frying them in oil. Reason: the initial baking has taken moisture out of the fries, and reheating them in oil adds moisture.
- Plan ahead and make a large batch to freeze for a later time, this way you can always enjoy homemade fries in a few minutes. Enjoy!
Making fries in a toaster oven can be a fun and easy way to create delicious, crispy fries at home.
IN THE SPOTLIGHT
Need a quality toaster oven? Check out our guide for the best toaster ovens on the market and find yours!8 BEST AIR FRYER TOASTER OVENS
By following our step-by-step guide, you’ll have perfectly cooked fries in no time. Whether you select fresh or frozen fries, baking or air frying, you’ll love the results.